Thursday, September 13, 2012

Candy Apple Trifle

Finally we have been experiencing "fall-like" temperatures this week and it has me in the mood for some fall treats. So I went back to my old blog to pull out some of my trifle recipes for all of you. I will be taking my recipes from that blog and posting them here on DIY with my GUY. They are too good to be lost in the blogosphere where forgotten blogs go to die.

I keep warning Ian that we NEED to start sticking to a workout routine because the fall is coming and I will be cooking!!

 

Candy Apple Trifle

Ingredients:
  • 6 Green Apples
  • 2 tbl or so of Brown sugar
  • 5 count of Bourbon (optional)
  • 2 Tablespoons of butter
  • Apple cake or Apple cider doughnuts
  • 2 pints of heavy whipping cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 Candy Apple


Base layer:
I really wanted to use fresh apple cider doughnuts, but due to time constraints, I was unable to go to the nearest orchard. Instead, I used an apple cake which turned out to be a delicious substitution. You can either make this from scratch, box or pick one up at the market.
Cut up whatever you decided on for the layer and divide in half. Layer the bottom of the trifle dish with half of the cake.



Second Layer:
This is where the apples come in. I really didn't know what I wanted to do to the apples. I just kept thinking about what goes into an apple pie. Do whatever you want. Just keep in mind the moisture from the apples when cooking. Do not add too much additional moisture.
 How I cooked the apples...
In a large skillet I sauteed about 6 green apples, sliced and peeled. I chose green because of their tartness. The cake and whipped cream layer were going to be sweet enough.

First add about 2 tablespoons  of butter to a large skillet and about 2 tablespoons of brown sugar (I really just added whatever amount I felt like. Remember...I wing it). I also added a little bourbon because I had some in the cupboard, but you don't have to. Cook down and add the apples stirring frequently until they look like they would if they were inside of an apple pie.
Cool slightly before you add to the trifle.

Third and Top Layer:
I went with homemade whipped cream this time. Depending on how much time I have I may cheat and use cool whip, but the consistency and flavor of homemade is so much better. 

It is pretty simple to do.
Easy Homemade Whipped Cream:

  • 2 pints of heavy whipping cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar (vary depending on how sweet you want it to be)
Whip the mixture with an electric hand mixer until raised peaks form in it and hold their shape. It should take about four minutes (or much longer if using a manual hand mixer or whisk).

Back to the trifle- Add the whipped cream layer and then repeat all 3 layers finishing with a top layer of whipped cream.



As a garnish I sliced a caramel candy apple and placed it around the top. You could make them yourself, but if your sole purpose is for this trifle then just pick one up at the orchard when you get your apples. 
 

I am really looking forward to making this trifle again for Ian. We'll be making a trip to the orchard here in the next few weeks (maybe next weekend). There is nothing like going to the orchard on a crisp fall day to gather pumpkins and apples! I'll pick up some freshly dipped caramel apples and try out the fresh apple cider doughnuts as the base layer for this trifle. If you make it there before I do, leave a

No comments:

Post a Comment